LONDON (Reuters) – They may be witnessing their global superpower influence decline in the face of challenges from other emerging players on the world stage, but Americans have been voted the world’s “coolest nationality” in an international poll.
Social networking site Badoo.com (www.badoo.com) asked 30,000 people across 15 countries to name the coolest nationality and also found that the Spanish were considered the coolest Europeans, Brazilians the coolest Latin Americans and Belgians the globe’s least cool nationality.
“We hear a lot in the media about anti-Americanism,” says Lloyd Price, Badoo’s Director of Marketing. “But we sometimes forget how many people across the world consider Americans seriously cool.”
Of course, not all Americans are cool far from it. Some like Snoop Dogg, Lady Gaga, Samuel L. Jackson, Johnny Depp and Quentin Tarantino are way cooler than others.
Americans, however, are the dudes who invented cool and who still embody it in many fields from music to movies and TV to technology.
“America,” says Price, “boasts the world’s coolest leader, Obama; the coolest rappers, Jay-Z and Snoop Dogg; and the coolest man in technology, Steve Jobs of Apple, the man who even made geeks cool.”
Brazilians are ranked the second coolest nationality in the Badoo poll and the coolest Latin Americans, ahead of Mexicans and Argentinians. The Spanish, in third place, are the coolest Europeans.
The French are voted cooler than the British, and Canadians cooler than the Belgians. This may come as a relief for Canadians, who are sometimes viewed as chronically uncool.
Or, as Michael Ignatieff, the Canadian politician, once put it: “Paris, Texas stands as a metaphor for broken dreams; Paris, Saskatchewan just sounds ridiculous.”
1. Americans 1. Belgians
2. Brazilians 2. Poles
3. Spanish 3. Turks
4. Italians 4. Canadians
5. French 5. Germans
So, Reuters published an illegitimate-looking write-up today about how America is “seriously cool.” Nonetheles, such are the results of a survey conducted by mysterious social networking site badoo.com (publishers of the “Least Funny Nationality” and “Most Flirtatious Online” line of surveys), who polled 30,000 people across 15 nationalities for the results. There is no telling how cool these Badoo users are, but let us review their opinions, shall we?
- America topped the list of coolest countries, followed by Brazil, Spain, Italy and France. Except for America, those are also the countries that topped 2009’s super-scientific World’s Best Lovers list.
- The five uncoolest countries, from least to most are: Germans, Canadians, Turks, Poles and… Belgians? Perhaps the first five Google suggest terms after “Belgian” can shed some light. They are: “malinois,” “waffle recipe,” “shoes,” “beer” and “shepherd,” as in Belgian Shepherd dog. Sure there’s an alcoholic beverage in there, but there are also two dog breeds.
- To contrast, the first five Google search terms after “American”: “airlines,” “express,” “eagle,” “idol,” “apparel.” Land of the free, home of the brand names.
- Americans, says Reuters “are the dudes who invented cool.” Their evidence? Obama, Jay-Z and Snoop Dogg. The only white guy inventor of cool they list is Steve Jobs.
- Argentineans are ranked above Russians but below Mexicans, taking the number nine spot. Sounds like North America is always winning!
So what’s the takeaway? Sure, we’re the coolest, but we should also, as they say, play it cool. As Reuters warns us with a minimal use of commas: “not all Americans are cool far from it.” Reuters, btw, is both American-owned and hella cool.
WATCH a perfect storm of American coolness (preferably on a Mac):